LITTLE ROCK (2-9) The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) and the Federal Highway Administration have identified changes to the design of the proposed Highway 167 Bypass in Sheridan, according to AHTD Director Dan Flowers.

    Plans call for the bypass to be constructed west of Sheridan.  This western alignment was selected based upon review of the findings of the Environmental Assessment, consultation with other state and federal agencies, and consideration of public comments collected throughout the environmental review process.

     During the project planning process, no interchanges or overpasses were planned for the proposed bypass, only at-grade intersections.  During the public involvement process, widespread concern was expressed about perceived safety issues with the mixture of vehicles using the bypass, its at-grade intersections, and that interchanges and grade separations for the bypass were needed at Highways 35, 270, 46 and County Road 9.

     After further review, the Department determined that acquiring the right of way necessary for the future construction of interchanges at Highways 35, 270 and 46 and a grade separation at County Road 9, would be a practical action.  The proposed interchanges and grade separation on the bypass would be constructed when justified by traffic conditions.

      “Acquiring the right-of-way for future interchanges in the original design is making a commitment that these will be constructed at the appropriate time without the additional burden of relocating businesses and residences that may develop around these intersections,” Flowers stated.

     No public meeting is planned.  A display showing these minor changes to the project is available for public viewing at the Grant County Area Maintenance Headquarters located on Highway 270, east of Sheridan.  Plans of the project will also be available at the AHTD’s District 2 Headquarters in Pine Bluff.  The District 2 Headquarters is located on Highway 65 South, east of the junction of Highways 425 and 65.  If more information is needed, call the Environmental Division at (501) 569-2281.




For Further Information Contact:

Tel: CompanyPhone
FAX: CompanyFax
e-mail: CompanyEmail